Wine Packaging: 10 Innovative Ways to Ship Your Wine Products
More and more consumers are choosing to order their wine products online and have them delivered directly to their doors. From gifts to groceries, there are so many reasons why consumers are switching to eCommerce for purchasing beverages, and it is vital that your wine packaging is suitable for this new trend.
Shipping wine products requires ultimate protection from your wine packaging, but it also needs to create an unforgettable unboxing experience and emulate your brand messaging perfectly. At Smurfit Kappa, we are specialists when it comes to wine packaging, and in this article, we are sharing our 10 innovative ways to ship wine products.
Why Is Wine Packaging Important?
As wine manufacturers move to the world of online shopping, wine packaging is more critical than ever. Having the right packaging can open up a world of opportunities in the online space. With well thought-out wine packaging, your business can get products direct to the consumer in the most efficient way, while also guaranteeing that they arrive in pristine condition.
It isn’t just product protection and transit that is important when it comes to wine packaging, but also the experience it delivers to customers. The right packaging will delight consumers and create an unforgettable unboxing experience.
Market Challenges For Wine Packaging
It is not without its challenges, and the key issues to bear in mind are:
- Protection: THE most important function of wine packaging is to protect the contents and ensure your bottles arrive in pristine condition, every time. For high value wines you may consider using an ISTA certified packaging supplier who can rigorously test your packs’ performance by simulating your supply chain conditions.
- Unbox & Return: The experience your wine packaging delivers to customers must match the quality of the products inside. 59% of consumers say they want parcels that are easy to open without a knife or scissors. In addition to this, 74% of consumers say that parcels should be easy to return.
- Sustainability: Sustainability is a key consideration for all businesses, and something which should be thought about at every step of the process, from sourcing to shipping. 71% of customers want parcels that are easy to dispose of, such as easy to flatten and no mixed materials. 69% say that packaging should be paper-based.
- Branding: Your wine packaging is an extension of your brand and part of your product, so it must present your business in the best possible way. Consumers expect parcels to be in line with what they already know about your brand, whether that be from your in-store presence or website. Paper-based packaging offers the possibility to completely customise your print and quickly adapt to seasonal promotions.
- Enabling Growth: No matter the size of your business, wine packaging should enable business growth and be easy to scale over time. The right packaging will optimise your production line and improve the packing process for your products. Whether your customers order a single bottle or ten bottles, you need a portfolio of wine packaging design to meet all requirements.